Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Review: GiGi's Cupcakes

I was never a huge fan of the frozen Yogurt dessert fad. I am not a huge fan of ice cream. Now baked goods I can get in to. There have been dozens of new places popping up all over the country offering premium bakery items. I could not be more excited. Some of these places offer only cupcakes. Sprinkles and Gigi's are the two I have been to. This is my second escapade to Gigi's and I thought I would record it for you guys.

Now Gigi's offers some damn good cupcakes. They have your typical flavors like chocolate and vanilla to crazy flavors like champagne and margarita. I decided to get a little adventures with my choices this time around and got the Kentucky Bourbon Pie and the Strawberry Lemonade. How were they?

I will start off with the more exotic of the two, the Strawberry Lemonade. I know this sounds like a disgusting flavor for a cupcake but wow was I pleasantly surprised. For some reason it is not a flavor listen on the website so I cannot give you the Gigi's description but from what I could tell it was a lemon cupcake with strawberry icing with a little gummy lemon wedge on top. I know you might be thinking it still sounds too sour and sugary but they do a great job getting the Strawberry Lemonade flavor without overdoing it. The lemon is faint but present and the strawberry is more sweet. You know that taste when you get strawberry lemonade that is too sweet? imagine that flavor, but toned down. That is the taste of the cupcake.

Rating 4/5 "It's Just Swell"

I did not LOVE it but it was still damn good. If you wanna try something new give it a go for sure.

Now for the Kentucky Bourbon Pie. This one was on Gigi's website. It is described as "Bourbon cake filled with pecans and chocolate chips topped with cream cheese frosting with pecans and chocolate chips drizzled with Carmel and ganache". Yes, it is as EVERY bit as good as it sounds. I do not really know what to say about this one that it does not say about itself. The cake is filled to the brim with melty chocolate chips and pecan bits. The frosting is rich and creamy, matching perfectly with the bourbon cake. You can taste the bourbon slightly, but only slightly. From the first bite I was in love, this is one of the best cupcakes I have ever had. EVER.

Rating 5/5 "It's the Bee's Knees" 

Highly recommend this one. One of the best cupcakes I have ever had in my life! 

Overall: Gigi's cupcakes are awesome. I like them more then Sprinkles but that is because I think the frosting and flavors are better. I will warn though, there is A LOT of frosting. These are rich and eating more then one is hard to do. If you do not like frosting this might not be the place for you.

Will be reviewing the new XXL Grilled stuffed burrito this weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment