Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Whataburger Patty Melt

I have never been a huge fan of Patty Melts. They are a bit too greasy for me. Ironic that I am complaining about grease when eating a cheeseburger but I guess I like my grease between two buns, not all over them. That being said, I have had the Whataburger Patty Melt my fair share of times. It is one of their standard items they revolve through so I thought it would be good to review it!



There are a few things that MUST be required for a good Patty Melt.

1. Thick Texas Toast
2. Golden brown grilled onions
3. Melty smothering cheese
4. Greasy thick burgers

If a Patty Melt has all of these things then it has passed my test on what a good Patty Melt requires. Does The Whataburger Patty Melt pass the test?

Close, but not completely. I will start of with the Texas Toast. Whataburger has good Texas Toast by itself, but as a bun of a huge burger like this it kind of fails. The edges are nice and thick but the center gets so mashed up it gets messy. The meat starts to fall through and the onions make it kind of soggy. Sonic does a better job having thicker toast. The onions on mine were perfect. They were cooked enough to where they have that golden brown flavor but they were not overcooked. I could see this being something that varies between orders though. The cheese was melty for sure but I think they could of used another slice or some more pungent cheese like cheddar or pepper-jack! The burger was thick and flavorful like any normal Whataburger! It had sauce on it to but you can barley even notice it!

Rating 3/5 "It's just Meh" 

For a fast food Patty Melt it was decent but it did not meet all my requirements! It probably does not help I do not like Patty Melts. If you do, give it a try. If you are like me then you are better of just passing on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment