Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Top Five Movies of 2011

So I was putting this post off for a few weeks so I could try and see all the big movies of 2011 that I missed. Next thing I know it's almost march, I have yet to catch up on my movies, and I have yet to post. So I decided that I am going to do to my list anyway. Just remember that this list is of the top five movies I SAW in 2011, not what might be the actual best. 

5. Attack the Block


This movie is a british comedy a la Edgar Wright's stuff (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz). The premise is simple enough, aliens attack a suburb in somewhere in the UK. I honestly could not tell you where and where does not really matter. Just know it is kind of a sketchy neighborhood. What makes the movie so interesting an different is the lead characters. Instead of following around two best friends or some good old  nice chums, you follow a group of 15-18 year old hoodlums who mug, steal, and rebel. It most movies these would be the people you cheer against but as this movie progresses you really gain affection towards them. It has genuine scary moments and lots of funny ones as well. I was pleasantly suprised by this movie and definitely recommend. 

4. Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil


I wrote a review for this movie here. So because of that I will keep this simple. This is one of the biggest hidden gems in horror-comedy to come out. EVER. Once again, if you have ever seen a horror movie and though "wow, these kids are so dumb they deserve to get murdered" you will love this movie! Go find it now. You will thank me. 

3. The Muppets


This one scored huge points with me for nostalgia reasons. I was a huge Muppet fan growing up and still am. When I heard they were rebooting it and someone who actually loves the Muppets was being the camera, I got really excited. I will admit, the movie is not perfect. It has pacing issues and they do not give the Muppets the screen time they deserve. That being said, I had a huge smile on my face the whole movie regardless. If you liked the Muppets check this out. If you have not seen the Muppet movies, it makes for a good introduction. I think Jim Henson would be proud to see the Muppets back. 

2. Drive

Now please do not think I am a movie snob because this is one of my favorite movies of the year. I know, no one talked the first half of the movie. Big whoop, no one talked for the first half of WALL-E either. Just because someone does not use words does not mean they are not speaking. That is one of my favorite parts of this movie. The first half is just so calm and cool, it builds so much tension. You know the shit is hitting the fan at some point and waiting in silence makes it even more suspenseful. Ryan Gosling is a huge badass in this movie and I want that jacket. Be warned, this is more of an "artsy" action flick, it is not mindless. But it is awesome.

1. Midnight In Paris


I will be the first to admit, I know very very little about Paris and the history and culture of the city. I know even less about the 1920's and the historical figures of that time. Yes, that is what this movie is about. I still loved it though, and that is why this is my favorite movie of 2011. It has such great character building, a whimsical plot, and is beautifully shot the whole way through. Owen Wilson does a great playing a stupefied author who looks like a kid in a candy store when he meets his idols from the 1920's. regardless if you know the time period or the figures, the message still hits. Take in the beauty of your life, don't wish it was something it's not. 

Honorable Mentions

Hanna- Wrote a review for this one here. Another badass action movie that has a great artistic feel to it. 

Rango- One of the best non-pixar CG movies ever. Johnny Depp is perfectly cast for this role and will have you laughing in a manner of minuets. 

The Decendants- Imagine Little Miss Sunshine, only with George Clooney and in Hawaii. 

No comments:

Post a Comment