Friday, September 9, 2011

Review: Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil


Have you ever seen a movie trailer and thought, "Damn, I CANNOT wait to see that movie!". Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil was that kind of trailer for me. I saw they two minuite extended trailer back when the film debuted at Sundance. It showed me a movie that looked fun and hilarious in the vien of Shuan of the Dead and Zombieland. I went ahead and put that trailer below (CAUTION: VERY SPOILER HEAVY).



Fast forward two years later and the movie is just now coming out, first on VOD then in select theatres. It took two years for this movie to get picked up and distributed. How a movie like this does not get picked up but crap like Final Destination 5 does blows my mind.

Anyways to give a brief plot synopsis of the movie it is a pretty basic horror-comedy. Two hillbilly friends, Tucker and Dale, escape to their new vacation cottage in the middle of the southern woods. A group of college kids are also in the same woods. Tucker and Dale are mistaken for crazy Hillbilly killers. Chaos ensues.

The movie is the directorial debut for Eli Craig. It is also shows off the talents of two great, but lesser-known actors named Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk. TV geeks might recognize these two but the average person will not. All I can say is the chemistry between them is damn near spot on. Not once did I doubt these two were not long time friends in the movie and even as actors. The dialog between them is quick and filled with little chuckles. They each have crazy unique traits to them. Tucker (Tudyk) does to PBR beer what My Big Fat Greek Wedding did to Windex and Dale (Labine) has a perfect memory. Crazy quirks like this in the movie give it charm and keep it fresh. There are also scenes in this movie that had me crying with laughter. the movie really does not have any slow scenes and even has a decent enough plot that will keep you interested. The gore is over-the-top, as it should be in a horror-comedy. The ending is predictable, but I can't fault it too much just because that comes with the territory really.

Rating 5/5 "It's The Bee's Knees"

I should probably not give this a five but I want to get people to see this movie. It is too damn funny to be a "cult classic" but then again, maybe it is better that way. Regardless, if you have an On-Demand service I recommend renting it. It is well worth your money.

-Tell next time

No comments:

Post a Comment