Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Review: Whataburger Green Chile Double & Banana Pie and Shake

Please do try it
Ah, the green chile. Something that when done right can add so much flavor. A lot of small or nice restaurants feature green chiles on lots of things. The further southwest you go the more you see of the green chile. One of my favorite sandwiches from a local burger place is a green chile chicken sandwich. The green chili provides tons a flavor, little heat, and a great texture to go along with a sandwich. So why was I so scared to try the Whataburger Green Chile Double? Was it because I do not trust fast food with fresh ingredients? Is it because I do not want to deal with a bad Whataburger or a bad green Chile experience? Who knows, either way, everything turned out okay in the end.

The Green Chile Double
There really is not a whole lot to this sandwich. It is two patties of beef, a slice of american and a slice of Monterey jack cheese, and roasted green chilies. Thats it. No lettuce, no mayo, no onions, just that. The simplicity is what actually made this work though. The patties are what you expect from Whataburger, juicy and flavorful. The two cheeses really give a nice thick consistency to the burger that gives it an almost creaminess that plays well of the chiles. Oh the chiles. So good even fast food cannot ruin you. Whataburger actually did a damn fine job with this. The chiles are moist yet not soggy and wet. The have tons of flavor (as they should) and give the burger a great bite and texture. I was blown away by how much I liked this. If they made the chiles a regular add-on I can see myself adding them in the future. While I do not really have any complaints it is still just a fast food burger so I cannot give it a perfect score. That being said, please do not be afraid to give this a try, it is well worth it.

Rating: 4/5 "It's Just Swell"




Banana Pie and Shake

Whataburger pies are some of my favorite fast food desert. They are really greasy but have such a good crunch and normally great filling so I love when I can get one. They do a good job of trying new flavors as well. When I saw they had Banana pies I had to use this excuse to get one. If you like banana you will like this. It is almost a banana pudding custard filling. Smooth and Rich inside with a strong banana flavor.

The shake (sorry no picture) was less stelar. I added chocolate to it being afraid it would be too banana strong but I barely could taste banana. I do not know if it is because the chocolate that was added or what but I was sad they couldn't get this one right, I love their shakes too. chick-fil-a still reigns supreme on outlandish shake flavors.

Pie Rating: 4/5 "It's Just Swell"


Shake Rating: 2/5 "It's Not Worth It"

Movie review up next! Get excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment