Sunday, August 14, 2011

McDonald's Cheddar Onion Hot 'n Spicy McChicken and Jalapeno Cheddar Hot 'n Spicy McChicken

I know I am super behind on these two but better late then never right?! A few months ago McDonald's released two new alternative versions of the Hot 'N Spicy McChicken that offer a little bit of variety. There is the Jalapeno Cheddar Hot 'N Spicy, which offers even more heat, and the Cheddar Onion, which offers some more flavor. These two are only released in certain markets across the country. Thankfully my hometown in Houston, TX is one of those markets. These juiced up sandwiches are both offered for $1.49 plus tax.

Cheddar Onion Hot 'N Spicy

I will start with what I thought was the weaker of the two. This one is made up of a Hot 'N Spicy filet, lettuce, white cheddar, and caramelized onions. Where the normal Hot 'N Spicy typically suffers from way too much mayo, this one suffers from being way too dry. The onions do offer some great flavor to the sandwich and are actually really well done as far as caramelization goes. The cheddar is almost non-existent. I could not even taste it in this one. If this had some Ranch on it or something I think it would be much better but it still is some nice variety from the regular Hot 'N Spicy.

Rating: 3/5 "It's Just Meh"


Jalapeno Cheddar Hot 'N Spicy

Who would of thought adding MORE heat to the Hot 'N Spicy would have made it that much better! this one is made up of the same as above, except sub out onions for jalapenos. The jalapenos, while not very fresh (it is almost a relish), adds a lot of flavor to the sandwich. Unlike the other version of this sandwich, this one does not suffer from dryness even without the mayo. I still think Ranch would be great on it but a small complaint. The cheddar here is more noticeable but still not a much as I would like.

Rating: 4/5 "It's Just Swell!"

Overall I would say that for the extra 50 cents, both sandwiches do a great job of adding variety and flavor to the Hot 'N Spicy, while still making it as affordable as it has always been! I really hope these become permanent additions all across the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment