Saturday, March 12, 2011

Review: Dutch's Portobello Mushroom Burger

Portobello Mushroom menu items always seem to be hit or miss to me. Some places do them very well and when done so they can be compared to any piece of meat I can get. When done poorly however, they can be dry, chalky, and disgusting. Thankfully Dutch's did it right.

What I got: The Portobello Mushroom Burger

Once again, I found myself not only not getting a burger, but getting something I have never tried at Dutch's at all! Why did I venture out to the land of mushroom? Before spring break I was on an all fruit and veggie diet so this was the only thing that met my requirements on the menu, and I was not about to skip my weekly Dutch's trip. The sandwich is just a portobello mushroom, lettuce, tomato, onions, and mayo. It is a very simple sandwich but do not let that fool you. The taste is far from simple. This thing is delicious. I was blow away by how much flavor it had. The mushroom itself was marinated in some sort of sauce which gave it a tangy but salty taste. It was strong at first but the mayonnaise did a great job toning down the intensity and providing a nice contrast and smoothness. The mushroom itself was as think and juicy as a piece of steak. The mushroom was charred nicely on the outside without being burnt. The few toppings made sure the sandwich stayed light, which it was. My only complaint is it was a hard sandwich to keep together because the mushroom kept sliding around.


Rating- 4/5 "It's Just Swell"

I cannot say I will be getting this that often only because I love meat. That being said, if I ever am looking for a lighter  option or have a vegetarian with me, I would definitely call on this sandwich. It was flavorful and hearty. An easy recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment