Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mel's Country Cafe

Okay so here is my first post of sorts. I am originally from the North Houston Area, and one restaurant up there that has become pretty famous is Mel's Country Cafe in Tomball, Texas. The restaurant's claim to fame is the Mel's Mega Burger. It's one of those God-awful creations that just looking at makes you feel full. It is 6 quarter pound hamburger patties, 1 whole pound of bacon, 1/4 pound cheese, and loads of lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and onions.

The Mel Mega Burger

So the rules are eat in all in an hour, no sharing, no getting up. If you don't want a veggie you can sub it for another beef patty. I have made the attempt at this with my two good friends in high school. Needless to say, it ended poorly. I finished all the meat, one of my friends did that and some veggies, but my third friend, well he got close. He literally had a handful of lettuce left when he had to go vomit it up. We decided that to make this even possible, you need to sub out the pickles for a patty. That is close to two big handfuls worth of pickles, which is way to many. 

Anyways, while afterwords I did not want to see a burger for weeks, on recent trips to Mel's i have tried other things on the menu, including the normal burgers. My verdict is delicious. Mel's has some of the best burgers around. They are juicy, big and flavorful. Mel's also has some of the best catfish in Houston as far as I am concerned and the place is priced reasonably. 

Mel's earns 
4 Stars - It's Just Swell

Mel's has that old school country comfort food appeal and definitely looks the part. It is pretty hard to find but if you ever visit you will see it is almost always crowded and is very popular among the locals. I recommend literally everything on the menu and if you are in the mood to show your Man Vs. Food strength, give the mega burger a try. It will hurt you.

Tell next time,

Scotty

Btw- here is my breakfast this morning.... damn thats good

Chocolate Chip Waffle, Corn beef hash, bacon, eggs, tortillas, and sparkling OJ

No comments:

Post a Comment