Sunday, January 9, 2011

Virgil's Root Beer, Breaking Bad, and Red Dead Redemption Quickys

Alright so here is something I will probably do every so often, especially with classes beginning soon. I call them quickys, they will just be quick reviews of various things. Tonight I am doing Virgil's Root Beer, Breaking Bad Season 1, and Red Dead Redemption.

Virgil's Root Beer
So I originally got Virgil's because I needed Root Beer to cook  some pulled pork in and wanted some good stuff to cook it in. Virgil's prides itself on being micro brewed, all natural, old fashioned root beer. If you look at the ingredients they list things like Anise, Licorice, Vanilla, Clove, Molasses, Nutmeg, and Cinnamon among others, and let me say they all come through strong. This stuff is the most flavorful root beer I have ever had. Now keep in mind you don't see High Fructose Corn syrup or sugar in that list. This stuff is all natural and taste crisp and fresh. It isn't too thick or creamy like some fake root beer. Also the carbonation level is perfect, just the right amount of bubbles.  The only downside I see of Virgil's is it is kind of pricy, I'm talking four buck for a pack of four, on sale. That is the price you pay for quality though.

Rating 5/5- "It's the Bee's Knees"



Breaking Bad: Season One

So I know I am a little late to the party on this one but I promised I would get to seeing this show someday and this holiday season I finally got to. AMC has been pumping out good shows for a while now and this was one of the first. In a nutshell the show is about a down on his luck chemistry teacher and father of soon to be two children (one who is handicapped) who finds out he had terminal lung cancer and 6 months to live. In a last ditch effort to provide for his family he decides to use his knowledge as a chemist to start producing the purest meth possible and teams up with a former screw up student to help him deal the drugs. This is a fascinating show that has a fantastic mixture of drama and humor. The pacing is fantastic and keeps the viewer on the edge every episode. Cranston in a marvelous actor throughout the whole show and really gives that attitude of a man who is over his head but still doesn't give a damn. Anyways this show is one of the most intriguing I have seen in a while and the fact it is on cable blows me away because this is an HBO caliber show. Check it out ASAP, you wont regret it

Rating 5/5- "It's the Bee's Knees"

Red Dead Redemption for the Xbox 360

Now I first have to admit this is a review without playing the multiplayer of this game, just single player. Rockstar games is known for it's Grand Theft Auto series and this is pretty much that same structure, just with a western cowboy theme. I might also mention its not quite as good either. Do not get me wrong, this is a good game, just not the best Rockstar has done. My biggest fault with this game is it just drags on way too long. As like the GTA series, the game has thousands of side missions and thing you can do, only now in a western settings, which is cool but they feel unnecessary. I literally did just the main missions and the game still took me 36 hours to beat. I like getting my moneys worth and all but that is a tad excessive for just one play through. The story is not as compelling as it could have been either, I liked the story of Neversoft's GUN better. I prefer cars to horses personally as well and it can get frustrating riding all across the west. Now they gameplay was fantastic. Shooting people with the dozens of guns in this game is satisfying and you can feel the power behind them. The leveling up system is well put together and helpful. Dueling people in the streets is compelling and nerve racking every time and using the dead eye feature to get six head-shots with six bullets never gets old. My only complaint with gameplay is shooting on horses can be frustrating because controlling yourself and the horse can be difficult. The environments and soundtrack and great and really match the game well but the character models look a bit strange. Anyways I still liked the game, but I feel like it doesn't quite live to Rockstar standards. I am excited to see what they do with LA Noir this year though.

3/5 Stars - "It's Just Meh"

See y'all on the flip side

1 comment: