Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Favorite Albums of 2010

So this will be my first music blog, and it will be a best of list. This will give you a pretty good idea of my music taste. They are pretty varied but I tend to listen to obscure bands. Anyways here is my list of favorite albums of 2010, in no particular order.

Norma Jean: Meridional

It was close between this album and The Chariot's Long Live, but this album takes the cake. The first half is the Norma Jean we all know and love and can be summed up as organized chaos. The second half of this album is where it Norma Jean starts to look like a pretty lady in a new dress. Norma Jean experiments a lot and I hope they continue to do so in their next album because it sounds fantastic. Moody, ambient, yet still rocks in that Norma Jean way. 

Rating: 4/5 - "It's Just Swell"



Fair- Disappearing World

Fair is a band led by front man Aaron Sprinkle. I doubt many know who he or his band are, but you might be familiar with some of his other projects. He is the main producer behind bands like Mae, Anberlin, Emery, Copeland, and many more. As you can imagine with a mastermind like this at the wheel this album is genius. This is music at its best. A basic, simple rock album with no gimmicks or tricks that manages to fit with any mood. I listened to this album after a great first date, and I did after that same first date dumped me 6 months later. This is my favorite album of the year, only because I know I will be able to listen to this years later and it will still shine

Rating 5/5 - "It's the Bee's Knees!!"

Kanye West- My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

My first preview of this album is when Kanye posted a mix of Monster of twitter. I remember hearing that thinking, "holy balls, if this album is anywhere near this good, it will be AWESOME". Turns out, it is that good and it is awesome. Between the hip-hop and rap oriented Monster, Power, and Hell of a Life to the more pop/R&B oriented Runaway, All of the Lights, and Devil in a New Dress, this album hits all of the bases. A lot of people complain the last few songs are weak but I disagree, they are just different, in a good way. This is by far Kanye's best album and easily the best rap/hip hop album of the year.

Rating 5/5- "It's The Bee's Knees"

Bonus- Kanye put out a remix of Power with Jay Z when he was doing his G.O.O.D. Fridays releases. If you have yet to hear it, find it. It is better then the original in my humble opinion.


House of Heroes- Suburba

So I think House of Heroes got the royal shaft on this one. This album just happened to drop the same day as another very popular band's album of a similar name did. This is the more solid release if you ask me, but once again what do I know!? The album concept by the band was just to write a record that sounds like the best-summer-of-your-life soundtrack and they nail it. Every song in this album is immediately catchy but they all become much more layered and deep after a few listens. Also the bonus track "Galveston" is WAY too good to be just a hidden track.

Rating 5/5- "It's the Bee's Knees"

The Secret Handshake- Night & Day

One word will tell you if this album is for you or not, Motown. This album is so far from anything The Secret Handshake has ever done but it is the best change he could have made. He ditched his stupid, overly used techno, auto tuned beats for some good old fashioned Motown. This album was made by someone who you can tell loves Motown too. The horns sound great, the group choruses hit all the right notes, and his famously corny lyrics have even gotten a bit better (only a bit). Anyways if you are in the mood for something different or just want to something to make you smile, check out this release.

Rating 4/5- "It's Just Swell"

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross-The Social Network Soundtrack

Okay so I know this is a score but OMFG it is soooo good. I remember just watching the trailer for this film and hearing "Hand Covers Bruise" for the first time, I got goosebumps. The soundtrack captivated me the whole film and I knew I had to get it ASAP. I did and I listen to it constantly. It is one of those rare soundtracks which I can put on my ipod and actually listen to like I do normal songs. Everyone has been raving about Daft Punk's Tron Soundtrack but this blows that out of the water. This proofs once again Trent Reznor is still a musical Genius and I hope to hear more of his scores in the future. My favorite soundtrack possibly ever.

Rating 5/5- "It's the Bee's Knees"

Children 18:3 - Rain's 'a Comin'

This band is still one of the most underrated punk bands of the past few years. Their first release had great energy and this one follows through. I guess when you are a punk band singing about 101 Dalmatians it is hard to get the respect you deserve. These guys do know their stuff though. With fast and frantic drums and guitars, smooth baselines, and chaotic yet harmonies melodies, these siblings can rock you pants off. This album never has a dull moment. If you are a fan of older Green Day, Blink 182 or Weezer, check them out ASAP, I promise you will fall in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment