Sunday, January 23, 2011

Qucikview: Sun Drop

So I was out shopping this afternoon and something caught my eye. The store had a display up that was advertising a soda I have yet to see called Sun Drop. At first I thought it was just a Kroger brand soda but then realized it wasn't. After a quick look up on my phone, turns out its Dr. Peppers version of Mountain Dew. Now I am a soda nut, so I had to try it. Apparently it has been around for a long time, but I have never seen this stuff and according to the internetz Dr. Pepper is trying to push this stuff in 2011. So how does the company that makes the best dark soda do in the green realm?


My first impression was confusion. I was definitely expecting that sugar overload you get when you drink the Dew or Vault. Surprisingly and confusingly (it has 75 grams of sugar in a bottle) you do not get that. My best description of this stuff is take Mountain Dew, Squirt, combine them, and then make it a little less tart. Now I personally think that is a good thing. It is crisp and refreshing, but not too sugary tasting. I don't get the sugar-coated-teeth feeling drinking this I normally do when having the Dew. Also it has a bit of a creamy after taste (don't ask me how), which gives it a uniqueness to it. Apparently it also has real orange juice in it and more caffeine then Mountain Dew.

Rating: 4/5 - "It's Just Swell"

I definitely enjoy this stuff, I don't know if I like as much as Mountain Dew, but I could definitely drink more of it. It has a more subdued citrus flavor and doesn't feel as sugary. If you are a fan of the Radiation Green soda I say give it a go. For me, this is gonna be a new regular at my gas station road trip stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment